Friday, April 06, 2007

UNDERSTAND ME, PLEASE.
4/6/07

I have been reading on BipolarConnect (www.healthcentral.com/bipolar) the distressed and anguished posts of spouses and partners trying to fnd the courage and strength to support a loved one with bipolar disorder. It is always helpful and insightful to hear the other side. I found it so hard to comment, I just didn't know what to say, there is no easy advice or way to express how hard it is to manage a relationship, for both sides. There is so much pain, blame, frustration, resent, regret, and fear.

Here is a rather sobering statistic: The divorce rate for couples where at least one spouse is bipolar is 90%. For comparison purposes, the general divorce rate is commonly held to be about half as much (around 50%), implying that this illness causes substantial additional burdens on married life. (I got this from Wikipedia, if you want more info).

I have been married for 11 years now and at times, thought that he was a terrible mistake. And at my worst times, feeling so hurt and misunderstood, I wanted to leave him forever. Now that I have been diagnosed, I know what a loss that would have been for me. It has been a tough and bumpy road for our relationship, but the counseling and the diagnosis has provided a lot of explanations and is helping us to heal, to become stronger and more aware of what is happening when it happens. We can actually joke about my mood swings. I can smile and say, "Hello darling, I'm feeling like I want to die, but I'm calling my doctor to let him know what's happening. So I need some extra attention and patience. I need you to check in."

It takes reservoirs of understanding, patience, devotion, trust, skill, strength, and communication to navigate this incredibly difficult and mercurial illness. Marriage is hard as it is, but add bipolar to the equation, and clearly, as the statistics indicate, the relationship is likely to fail.

Whenever I look at my husband sleeping, looking so peaceful, I remind myself how much he has gone through and remember all the tears that he has shed. And instead of focusing on how much he doesn't understand or what he hasn't done, I try to appreciate that he is breathing next to me and that I have someone who still loves me just the way I am.

4 Comments:

At 2:39 PM , Blogger Dobro said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog.
I agree with what you said about how very hard it is for a married couple to stay together.
I am also glad that both of us are able to look beyond our illness and know that our spouses are doing the best they can as of today. And, hopefully, in time, we will do better and so will they.
Take care!

 
At 3:58 PM , Blogger Bleeding Heart said...

Spouses do the best they can, but this is my take with Marriage...we made vows.."In SICKNESS and in HEALTH," Why make those vows if you are going to leave?

If my husband left me due to my bipolar then I obviously misunderstood the man that he is.

Its totally wrong in my opinion.

Welcome to Bipolar Planet!

 
At 1:06 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Wow - I knew divorce rates for a person with bipolar disorder were high, but I had no idea they were that high. I've been married 27 years and at times it's been so incredibly difficult I can't even express it. I learned that the bad feelings will pass, and they always do. But no matter how much the logical mind understands that, the emotional mind can be setting fire to every bridge.

I'd like to use this as the basis for an upcoming blog if you have no objection. I'll give a link, of course.

 
At 3:32 PM , Blogger kodeureum said...

You're so lucky. None of my relationships have lasted more than two years, including my marriage. I was diagnosed bipolar at age 17. The only constant people in my life are my parents, my brother, his wife and in-laws, my friends and my six year-old daughter who my ex-wife is trying to take away from me. You should really cherish such a supportive spouse.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home