Wednesday, April 25, 2007


SISTER
4.25.07
I talked to my younger sister the other day. She always makes me laugh. She is the one who sent me those funky fuschia Morrocan slippers (as pictured in my post below) when I was in the hospital watching spaceships land outside my window and tossing pills out to the aliens.

When my sister and I were single, we used to talk 3-4 times a day. Then we got married and we talked a couple of times a week. Then we had children and now we're lucky to talk once a month. She has two beautiful kids; I have one. That's life.

There's a lot I can say about my sister. A few things for sure: She is a survivor, she carries the invisible scars of a horrible childhood tragedy and crime. She is perceptive, thoughtful, generous, and kind. She makes friends wherever she goes. She's not bipolar like me, although she struggled with depression during her last pregnancy. I was so worried that she would get post-partum depression the way I did. Fortunately, she weathered through it. I kept telling her that she shouldn't be afraid to go on medications; she said okay, but she never did. She's like that. She gave birth to her children with no epidural, no pain relief, nothing. She just takes the pain.

Growing up, I thought she was an irritant, something that got in my way. Then one day when I was about 13, my father took me aside and told me that my sister just wanted to be with me, to learn from me, to be like me. It was like this catharsis: I wept, I felt so bad, I had no idea. After that, she became my best friend. I took her everywhere. She came with me on my first college visit. We drove across Missouri listening to Depeche Mode, the Book of Love, and 10,000 Maniacs. The music was so loud we had no clue the muffler had fallen off. I was probably hypomanic, but it was still exciting, innocent, and fun.

My sister is also the person who called me at 4:30 am on September 22, 2005 to ask why I was sending emails warning people about an earthquake. She detected something was terribly wrong, she called my husband to check on me at work where I was wandering around in a daze. She is the one who drew me heart pictures to remind me how much I was loved when I wanted to die.

Thank you, Sister, for bringing so much love and laughter into my life.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:22 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

Hey your post was so nice it almost brought tears to my eyes.
don't let that happen polar i see it happening with my sister but you don't let that hppen and blame it on LIFE. yes it gets tougher but really, there's always, ALWAYS a time for a phone call.

Beautiful post.

 
At 4:23 PM , Blogger Polarimbi said...

You are right, there is always time for the people we love and treasure. I emailed my sister today and tomorrow i'll call her. Thank you!

 
At 11:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hola, i don't comment too frequently on blogs although i do visit often. i think you are very fortunate to have a person like that in your life, whether she is your sister or not, but it is even more important that you can have that kind of special relationship with a family member. when i had to be hospitalized, i didn't feel comfortable about calling my brother to pick me up. instead i call my cousins. although my brother was there for me to bring me clothes from my apartment, etc., and pick me up from the hospital & eps (emergency psychiatric services) at santa clara valley med, i don't feel that kind of joy being with him. instead, i feel a kind of sadness because although there is genuine love there is also a distance. after i got out of the hospital the first time, i had to stay at his place for 2 weeks as part of my discharge plan. as you know the first two weeks are dangerous, so you're not supposed to be alone. so i stayed at his place, and we hung out, and when i left i gave him a hug and told him i would miss him. my brother and i have done road trips from the bay area and back to visit our parents, but there's always been a kind of tension because of my relationship with my mom. now my brother and i get along better but i don't think we'll be able to experience that kind of you joy, secure attachment, and trust you and your sister share. i feel sad for my brother, and happy for you that you have such a wonderful good thing in your life. i guess i don't have as strong a relationship with my brother because i was always running away from my family. thanks for sharing, polarimbi

 
At 6:47 PM , Blogger ashmc2 said...

Very nice sentiment to your sis’s love and commitment.

My first time dropping by. I’ll be back to archive a bit.

Later, Ash out…

 
At 7:31 AM , Blogger tiara said...

I LOVE that pic of you and your sister!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home